In the treatment of clients for whom English is a second language and/or where cultural issues play a critical role in therapeutic engagement and progress, FPS has worked with therapists who are able to provide first language counseling in a culturally relevant and meaningful treatment process. FPS has offered therapeutic services in a first language and cultural context for: Cree, Filipino, Chinese, Laotian and Vietnamese clients.
Aboriginal Spiritual Healing
The clinical team at FPS has worked with Aboriginal cultural teachers and Spiritual Helpers (Elders) providing our clients opportunities for cultural and spiritual healing and blending traditional Aboriginal and Western therapy since 1991. Our practice has a Council of Advising and Working Spiritual Helpers who guide and direct us in our work with Aboriginal adults and youth and provide individual counseling, cultural and traditional teachings, sharing circles, Sweat Lodge and other ceremonies.
Aboriginal Spiritual Healing services include:
- Sharing Circles
- Sweat Lodge Ceremonies
- Individual counseling with Elders and/or spiritual helpers
- Participation in Sun Dance preparations
- Attending Aboriginal cultural events
- Housing (see Healthy Homes)
- Traditional Helper training
- Learning traditional protocols
- Learning traditional teachings
- Medicine Gathering and preparation
- Caring for Sacred Grounds